American University (Washington College of Law)
4300 Nebraska Ave. NW
#16 in Presence of Minority Faculty
AUWCL ranks #16 in terms of the highest percentage of faculty who are racial or ethnic minority (24.9%).
#30 in Highest Tuition
AUWCL ranks #30 in terms of highest tuition among full-time law students ($56,724). We rank from a total of 283 tuition rates from 194 law schools, ranking twice those law schools that have different in-state and out-of-state tuition rates.
#37 in Private Sector Salary
AUWCL is tied for #37 in terms of the median starting salary among graduates working in private practice as law firm associates ($100,000).
#50 in Presence of Minority Students
AUWCL ranks #50 in terms of the highest percentage of students who are racial or ethnic minority (41.8%).
#55 in Library Size
AUWCL ranks #55 in terms of library size with 558,968 volumes or equivalents.
#64 in Median LSAT
AUWCL is tied for #64 in terms of the median LSAT score (158) among those applicants granted admission who enrolled as full-time students. The LSAT measures reading comprehension, analytical reasoning, and logical reasoning.
#67 in Student to Faculty Ratio
AUWCL is tied for #67 in terms of lowest student to faculty ratio (6.4:1).
#70 in Public Sector Salary
AUWCL is tied for #70 in terms of median starting salary among graduates working in government jobs or judicial clerkships at the federal or state level ($56,000).
#96 in Presence of Female Faculty
AUWCL is tied for #96 in terms of the highest percentage of faculty who are female (40.1%).
#99 in Median Undergraduate GPA
AUWCL ranks #99 in terms of highest median undergraduate GPA (3.43) among those applicants granted admission who enrolled as full-time students.
#103 in Acceptance Rate
AUWCL ranks #103 in terms of student selectivity with an acceptance rate of 48.6% among those who applied for admission.
#108 in Employment Rate at Graduation
#148 in Employment Rate at 10 MonthsAUWCL ranks #108 in terms of graduates employed at the time of graduation (42.2%) and #148 in terms of graduates employed ten months after graduation (68.0%).
#160 in Bar Passage Rate
AUWCL ranks #160 in terms of bar passage rate among first-time test takers (66.0%), and it underperforms by -4.1% the District of Columbia’s overall bar passage rate of 70.1%. (A national comparison on this metric should be taken in a qualified sense and with caution, because every state has a different bar passage rate.)
Fall 2020 Application Information
|LSAT Score (Median)||158||155|
|LSAT Score (25th-75th percentile)||155-160||152-158|
|GPA Range (25th-75th percentile)||3.08-3.58||2.96-3.48|
Bar Exam Statistics
|State in which most graduates took bar exam:||DC||NY|
|School's bar passage rate:||66.0%||73.7%|
|State overall bar passage rate:||70.1%||72.7%|
|School bar pass rate vs. state bar pass rate:||-4.1%||+1.0%|
|Graduates employed at graduation:||42.2%||57.8%|
|Graduates employed 10 months after graduation:||68.0%||70.2%|
Tuition and Expenses
|Room and Board:||$18,360||$15,686|
|Proportion of full-time students receiving grants:||66.0%||51.4%|
|Median grant amount among full-time students:||$25,000||$13,000|
|Average indebtedness of those who incurred debt:||$167,039||$160,274|
|Proportion of graduates who incurred debt:||82.4%||80.2%|
|View National Comparison|
Students & Faculty
|Student Racial Demographics:||
|Student-to-Faculty Ratio:||6.4 : 1||N/A|
Full-Time Starting Salaries
|Private Sector (Median):||$100,000||$100,000|
|Public Sector (Median):||$56,000||$55,057|
|View National Comparison|
|Volumes and equivalents:||558,968||559,764|