Southwestern University School of Law
3050 Wilshire Boulevard
#15 in Presence of Minority Faculty
Southwestern Law ranks #15 in terms of the highest percentage of faculty who are racial or ethnic minority (26.6%).
#28 in Presence of Minority Students
Southwestern Law ranks #28 in terms of the highest percentage of students who are racial or ethnic minority (52.2%).
#41 in Highest Tuition
Southwestern Law ranks #41 in terms of highest tuition among full-time law students ($53,966). We rank from a total of 283 tuition rates from 194 law schools, ranking twice those law schools that have different in-state and out-of-state tuition rates.
#62 in Library Size
Southwestern Law ranks #62 in terms of library size with 542,873 volumes or equivalents.
#70 in Presence of Female Faculty
Southwestern Law is tied for #70 in terms of the highest percentage of faculty who are female (42.4%).
#85 in Acceptance Rate
Southwestern Law ranks #85 in terms of student selectivity with an acceptance rate of 46.1% among those who applied for admission.
#95 in Private Sector Salary
Southwestern Law is tied for #95 in terms of the median starting salary among graduates working in private practice as law firm associates ($70,000).
#115 in Median LSAT
Southwestern Law is tied for #115 in terms of the median LSAT score (153) among those applicants granted admission who enrolled as full-time students. The LSAT measures reading comprehension, analytical reasoning, and logical reasoning.
#143 in Student to Faculty Ratio
Southwestern Law is tied for #143 in terms of lowest student to faculty ratio (8.1:1).
#157 in Median Undergraduate GPA
Southwestern Law ranks #157 in terms of highest median undergraduate GPA (3.22) among those applicants granted admission who enrolled as full-time students.
#165 in Employment Rate at Graduation
#177 in Employment Rate at 10 MonthsSouthwestern Law ranks #165 in terms of graduates employed at the time of graduation (19.3%) and #177 in terms of graduates employed ten months after graduation (58.6%).
#181 in Bar Passage Rate
Southwestern Law ranks #181 in terms of bar passage rate among first-time test takers (52.3%), and it underperforms by -6.0% the state of California’s overall bar passage rate of 58.3%. (A national comparison on this metric should be taken in a qualified sense and with caution, because every state has a different bar passage rate.)
#183 in Public Sector Salary
Southwestern Law is tied for #183 in terms of median starting salary among graduates working in government jobs or judicial clerkships at the federal or state level ($40,000).
Fall 2020 Application Information
|Application Deadline:||April 3|
|LSAT Score (Median)||153||152|
|LSAT Score (25th-75th percentile)||150-155||149-154|
|GPA Range (25th-75th percentile)||2.98-3.49||2.91-3.39|
Bar Exam Statistics
|State in which most graduates took bar exam:||CA||CA|
|School's bar passage rate:||52.3%||56.1%|
|State overall bar passage rate:||58.3%||60.2%|
|School bar pass rate vs. state bar pass rate:||-6.0%||-4.1%|
|Graduates employed at graduation:||19.3%||27.5%|
|Graduates employed 10 months after graduation:||58.6%||55.9%|
Tuition and Expenses
|Room and Board:||$20,520||$20,520|
|Proportion of full-time students receiving grants:||58.4%||44.2%|
|Median grant amount among full-time students:||$24,446||$16,882|
|Average indebtedness of those who incurred debt:||$212,576||N/A|
|Proportion of graduates who incurred debt:||82.3%||N/A|
|View National Comparison|
Students & Faculty
|Student Racial Demographics:||
|Student-to-Faculty Ratio:||8.1 : 1||N/A|
Full-Time Starting Salaries
|Private Sector (Median):||$70,000||$60,000|
|Public Sector (Median):||$40,000||$50,000|
|View National Comparison|
|Volumes and equivalents:||542,873||535,739|